Thursday, August 20, 2009

Saved by the...um...bill.

Late last night, when it seemed that today might be moving day, I remembered that I had not contacted the Electric Co. that we would be moving, so I hopped online to do it from there. (you can do that nowadays, you know!) Anyway, typing in my info, I came to the last screen, where they confirm all the information, and it tells me that they can finalize the transaction AS SOON AS I PLUNK DOWN 1,222.00 AS A DEPOSIT!! I stared at the screen for a moment, then I just carefully hit the escape button. (Why this button does not take us to a tropical paradise, or at least leave us feeling a little tipsy, I'll never know...)any way, I tossed and turned all night, wondering how I was going to break the news to the kids that a)there was no way in hell we were going to move, or b) we would be doing homework by kerosene lanterns for 6 months. I woke this morning with a rock in the pit of my stomach, knowing I was going to have to dicker like I had never dickered in my life to try and salvage this move, which will be so much better for us all the way around. I got into my hard-ass, take-no-shit mood and made the call, but then The Voice on the other end of the line QUICKLY reassured me that, because we had been loyal customers who had never been late with a utility bill in our two years of customer-hood that we were exempt from having to put down a deposit. (There is your lesson-for-the-day!) She was, however, slightly concerned because that computer-generated figure is loosely based on two times the largest bill generated from that address. I told her that there IS a rumor circulating that it used to be a 'pot-house', and that may be a possible explanation as to the huge energy bills generated there. (Not that I know anything about pot-farming, just guessin' there...)It's gas heat, so we'll see!
Thank goodness we have been consistent and timely with our bills!
...as it turns out, however, today will NOT be moving day, as they need to finish up some repairs and other little details. New target date: Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment