Thursday, December 4, 2008

...and in this corner...

I'm not sure why I didn't blog about Chloe's basketball tournament in Central Oregon this past summer...It was certainly blog-worthy...and now I want to blog an addendum, and I don't have an original post to link to. So here is the story and the addendum all rolled into one.

I don't remember when it was, but I do know it was summer ball, and we went over to Bend for a basketball tournament. It was fun meeting up with several old friends, and really fun to watch Chloe play against many of her former teammates from her rec ball days.

One of the teams they played was the Redmond, Oregon team, and all I can say is "wow." For those of you not in the know, Redmond, as an athletic community has a bit of a rep. Well-deserved, too. They are a one-high school town, which makes them a bit on the competitive side. All well and good, except that they also suffer from a case of little-man syndrome. They are dirty players, and poor losers. Ask anybody from Bend. ;)

We played them in one of the final games of the tournament, and it got very physical very quickly. They were slapping, and elbowing right off the bat. There were several bruises and even some blood. The biggie was when one gal from Redmond grabbed her right fist with her left, and drove her right elbow into the face of Chloe's friend Amy, dropped her like a stone, then uttered VERY loudly: "Stay down, bitch!"

Yeah. It was pretty amazing. The refereeing was terrible, and their coach did not chastise his players. It was a sight to see. HOWEVER: We won. Or more correctly, Sheldon girl's basketball won. We parents just had to stand by and let our girls take it. But as I said to Chloe at the time: They can try all they want to take it off the court, but you won on the court, where it matters the most.

Here is the addendum: Redmond comes to town tomorrow night for a re-match. They entered our tip-off tournament that starts the basketball season. I'm sure I'll have much more to report tomorrow...Maybe I'll even have pictures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment