Friday, December 17, 2010

Winter Bliss

I was totally in the mood for some comfort food the other night, and I remembered this recipe that I had come across on the internet somewhere along the line and I remembered thinking at the time that it sounded so delicious, but that nobody in my family liked tomato soup...so I tucked it away. I am much less tolerant these days of my family's dietary foibles, so I decided to make it in the interest of soothing my soul.
It worked.
I made a nice crusty, buttery jack cheese panini, and had a bowl of this positively blissful tomato-ish soup and suddenly the world was a brighter place.
This is a quick recipe, not one that needs to sit on the stove...but I have to say I ate some for lunch the next day and it was even more delicious after sitting.

6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 bottle (46 Oz.) Garden Party Tomato Juice(Trader Joe's House brand)
1 lg can Petite-Diced or crushed Tomatoes(28 oz)
1 Tablespoon Chicken Base
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 pinch Salt
Black Pepper To Taste
1 cup Creme Sherry
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
Chopped Fresh Flat-leaf Parsley
Sauté diced onions in butter until translucent. Then add canned tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken base, sugar, pinch of salt, black pepper and stir. Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat. Add in sherry and cream and stir. Add in parsley to taste. Ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment